When it comes to big contracts, the world has seen some truly remarkable ones. From infrastructure projects to military deals and even celebrity endorsements, these contracts have changed the face of business and technology as we know it. Here are the top 10 biggest contracts in the world.
1. Saudi Aramco – $44 billion: In 2019, oil giant Saudi Aramco awarded a $44 billion contract for the construction of an oil refinery in India. The deal is the largest ever foreign investment in India and is expected to fuel the country`s economic growth in the coming years.
2. Microsoft – $10 billion: In 2019, Microsoft was awarded a $10 billion contract to provide cloud services to the US Department of Defense. The deal was hotly contested by rival tech firms, but Microsoft ultimately won out thanks to its extensive experience in cloud computing.
3. Boeing – $9.2 billion: In 2018, Boeing signed a $9.2 billion contract with the US Air Force to provide 351 F-15EX fighter jets. The new planes are designed to replace older models and give the Air Force a competitive edge in the skies.
4. Google – $5.1 billion: In 2018, Google signed a $5.1 billion contract with the European Union to improve its search engine`s transparency and compliance with EU regulations. The deal was seen as a major victory for the EU, which has been cracking down on tech companies over privacy concerns.
5. Apple – $4.5 billion: In 2014, Apple signed a $4.5 billion contract with GT Advanced Technologies to develop sapphire glass for its iPhones. The deal ultimately fell apart after GT declared bankruptcy, but it remains one of the biggest contracts in the tech industry.
6. Leonardo – $4.3 billion: In 2017, Italian defense firm Leonardo signed a $4.3 billion contract with the US Air Force to replace its aging fleet of UH-1N helicopters. The new helicopters will be used to transport military personnel and equipment.
7. Facebook – $3 billion: In 2014, Facebook made waves by acquiring virtual reality company Oculus VR for $3 billion. The move was seen as a major bet on the future of VR, and Facebook has since integrated Oculus technology into its social media platform.
8. IBM – $2.75 billion: In 2018, IBM signed a $2.75 billion contract with the Australian government to provide cloud services and other IT solutions. The deal is the largest ever IT contract in Australian history.
9. Tiger Woods – $2 billion: In 2000, golf superstar Tiger Woods signed a $2 billion contract with Nike to use its golf equipment and apparel. The deal was seen as a major coup for Nike, which saw its golf division explode in popularity in the years to come.
10. Amazon – $1.5 billion: In 2018, Amazon signed a $1.5 billion contract with the UK government to provide cloud services and other IT solutions. The deal is part of a broader effort by the UK government to modernize its IT infrastructure and reduce costs.
These contracts represent some of the largest and most influential deals in business and technology history. From oil and defense to social media and celebrity endorsements, they show just how diverse and far-reaching the world of big contracts can be.